Pages

Friday, 14 July 2017

F-U Genkan

So I'm starting this blog with a not-so shocking  revelation: I am a hypocrite. There, done! I've admitted it.

You may, or may not be asking; Why? For many reasons, but for the purpose of this blog post, only two.


1. I love shoes, but hate wearing them. 

Quite possibly my favourite shoes
They're so bloody uncomfortable. I'd be much happier walking around barefoot all the time. I am one of those crazy people that will take their shoes off as soon as I get a chance. I've been known for walking around offices barefoot, or just in socks. 

But OMG!! Shoes, I love them, particularly heels. I remember a devastating period in my life where I ebayed a lot of the fab shoes I had collected over the years. It almost destroyed me.I'd be happy having a shoe museum.

Following on from 1 we have...

2. I'd rather be barefoot, but I hate the Genkan (玄関)

So for those of you who don't know, the Genkan is the place where you remove your shoes before entering a house in Japan. But you don't like shoes, I hear you cry, why would you hate the Genkan? 

Because when your Genkan is as small as mine, it takes forever to put shoes on, especially if they have laces. And then once you've finally laced up your shoes, you're ready to leave, and you get outside and you're about to lock the door when you realise you've left your *keys/phone/purses/other (*Delete as appropriate) in the house and you have to take your shoes off to go back inside. Cue yelling all the compound obscenities you can think of whilst going through the process of taking your shoes off, collecting forgotten item and struggling to get them back on again.

Meet the Genkan, and my cell front door

Some restaurants even have Genkans, which add a whole new level of anxiety to the situation. You get to the restaurant, you have to take your shoes off and your mind is racing with terrible thoughts like: "What if my socks have holes in them?" Or the classic: "Do my socks even match?" Or for the forgetful among us: "Am I even wearing socks?" Or the most sickening thought: "Ohmigod!! I've been wearing these shoes all day. What if my feet smell?"

On the plus side, the Genkan does keep your house tidy and dirt free. So when I win the lottery I'll make sure my Genkan is a good size, with a nice bench for putting on, and taking off your shoes. Hurry up lottery win!

2 comments:

  1. I think everyone hates me because I have one of these at my house (except I call it a Vestibule) and it's as small as yours and I insist everyone revoves their shoes upon entry haha.

    Rosy | Sparkles of Light Blog
    My Instagram | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah the Vestibule!! I think my only problem is the size, if it was larger I'd not be so bothered as I hate wearing shoes!

      Delete

I adore all your comments,
They simply make my day,
So don't be shy,
And please comment away...